Thursday, April 3, 2008

From hippies to hipsters

Yes, we moved from Ocean Beach to South Park. It's amazing how different these two areas of San Diego are. Our previous scenery was parrots perched on palm trees, surfers skatboarding down to the water with a surf board in arm, homeless wanderers playing drums along the sea wall, dogs on every street block, and more shirtless flip-flop wearers than you can shake a stick at. I will miss the smell of the ocean in the morning. Being able to walk to the beach with coffee in hand to sit on the sand and feel the mist of the waves. I'll miss the character of the people, and the charm of all the antique stores. I won't miss, however, the sound of the city bus driving down my street at 5:00 a.m., or being under the flight path as the planes take off at 6:30 a.m. Or stepping in dog poop about once a week.

I now find myself in South Park. A very quaint town famous for its craftsman homes and architecture. You won't find many flip-flops in this part of town, besides mine of course. But you will sleep in until 8:00 and feel like you're on vacation. You can stand on one corner and pretty much point to any spot and find a cool eatery, liquor store (very important) or coffee shop. There is a lot of style in this area and it's chock full 'o hipsters, who I believe don't like being referred to as hipsters. Or maybe they do? That's how far removed I am from the hipster scene, but I think I'm going to like it.

2 comments:

O'Bloggie said...

Nichole, I just happen to love you, too.

That is all.

S said...

Aw. You guys are so cute.

I hope you're very happy in your new home, Nichole!