Thursday, May 8, 2008

When did I become so grown up?

Yesterday I was featured as the guest speaker in a brand and marketing class at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. I wasn't sure what to expect, as I've never spoken in front of a class before. Except when I was in school and had to do a presentation. But that's different because I was amongst peers, and in this case I was kind of on a pedestal. I started out a little shaky and nervous, then got really into it. I had put together a slide show, brought work samples, the whole shebang!

The thing that made me stop and take myself slightly seriously was when I noticed these students taking notes. They were raising their hands, asking questions, and I was able to answer every question without missing a beat. It was kind of a rush. And after all was said and done, I felt very old.

It was a fun reminder that I kind of know what I'm doing, though. If I can't even impress young whipper snappers, I'd be in bad shape starting and running my own business.

2 comments:

S said...

Yay! I knew you could do it! And it's not a sign of being that "old lady who talked in class today" - it's "holy crap, that woman has her shit together!"

You rock! Congrats!

Dena Moon said...

I am laughing at me, I must be too used to reading your writing on another site because I totally read "skanky and nervous" instead of "shaky and nervous". Oy! Anyway, I'm sure you were a fabulous grown up!